New member Board of Directors- Dean
Hotelschool The Hague (HTH) was founded in 1929, making it one of the oldest independent hotel schools in the world. Since 1929, HTH has been renowned for its education and innovative research and is currently ranked amongst the top Hospitality Management Schools worldwide, and the best Hotelschool in The Netherlands. Graduates of HTH hold lead positions in the hospitality industry worldwide. The school has two campuses, one in The Hague and one in Amsterdam with over 2,600 students, with an international student population of 30% and more than 250 employees.
HTH ‘core business’ is hospitality business education and research, where future leaders are prepared to shape the global hospitality industry. HTH offers several programs, including a four-year Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Management, a fast-track Bachelor of Arts program, a 13-month Master of Business Administration in International Hospitality Management and a Master of Arts in Leading Hotel Transformation.
Hotelschool The Hague is looking for a new member for its Board of Directors/Dean
The position of Dean at HTH presents an opportunity for a visionary, collaborative, academic leader to help shape the future of student success, educational excellence, research programs and community impact of HTH.
The Dean provides strategic vision and operational leadership to all education and research programs, ensures continued growth and sustainability, and encourages innovation in program and curricula design while safeguarding and developing the quality of excellent (international) education and research. The Dean embraces and champions the ethos of the HTH heritage, mission, vision, values and goals.
Together with the President, and temporary third board member, the Dean forms the Board of Directors based on collaborative governance. Furthermore, the Dean serves as an active leader of multiple leadership teams on the campuses and is accountable to the Board of Trustees.
The successful candidate is an accomplished administrator and communicator in higher education, with a history of decisive, innovative and entrepreneurial leadership, who will be a strong advocate for HTH at national and international levels. The candidate is conversant with contemporary issues in both higher education and the corporate world, and is experienced in cultivating effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Besides a deep appreciation for research, the successful candidate has a profound understanding of and experience with higher education and the vital role it plays in the personal and professional development of a student.
- Working and thinking at academic level.
- Has a relevant Master’s degree. Possession of a Ph.D. is strongly preferred.
- Several years of working experience at higher management level in an (international) higher education organization, preferably a (hospitality) business school.
- Extensive managerial experience -preferably as board member- including proven strengths in strategic planning, budgeting and organizational & leadership development.
- Demonstrated capacity in building and improving an educational curriculum, in developing quality research programs and in Life Long Learning. Preferably experience in managing the combination of the above.
- Knowledge of and experience with the accreditation system for higher education.
- Understanding of educational rules and regulations and insight into social developments in higher education.
- A track record in managing change and transformation in strong (educational) communities.
- Affinity with hospitality, experience in or with the sector.
- A fluent command of the English and the Dutch language.
- Global/international network of scholars and professionals.
- Demonstrated successful advocacy for students and students' needs.
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural differences, diversity and inclusion.
Desired personal qualities
- Inspiring and strong leadership, a committed and accessible leader who knows how to stimulate, motivate and challenge to bring out the best from people. A natural leader with the power to execute, connect, creates trust and stability, is sensitive, listens well, is decisive and consistent.
- Works collaboratively as a team member in the board to realize the vision and strategy of HTH.
- An inspirational strategic partner for all stakeholders including students, lecturers, instructors, support staff, alumni, the (international) hospitality industry and organizations in the Dutch higher educational system.
- Besides a strong strategic focus, the size and organization structure of the Hotelschool requires a hands-on attitude.
- Organizational skills to promote collaboration and teamwork throughout HTH.
- A strong communicator: transparent, credible, clear and motivating.
- Ambitious when it comes to achieving excellent education, research and lifelong learning.
- Entrepreneurial: thinks in terms of – opportunities and possibilities, is future-oriented, energetic, respects the past; builds from a strong foundation and a powerful team.
- Awareness of the own exemplary role within and outside the organization, in line with expectations relating to the hospitality sector: hospitality and service provision of the highest order.
- Further develop the vision for the future of the Hotelschool.
- Lead the implementation of the strategy in education and research.
- Further strengthen the small scale, community building and international profile of HTH.
- Allocation of resources and other systemic supports to promote professional development for lecturers, instructors, and staff.
- Coaching of management, lecturers, instructors, and staff in creating a positive work and learning culture.
- Encourage interdisciplinary connections to enhance the student experience through innovative curriculum, (real life) learning experiences, research and career exploration.
Education & Research
- Continues improvement of all educational programs (Bachelor, Master, MBA, professional doctorate) and develop lifelong learning
- Expand research, develop strategic research agenda and further expand and develop thought leadership.
- Responsible for accreditations and the Quality Cycle.
- Foster further inclusion of the strategic focus of HTH in all programs.
- Further integrate practical education in the educational organization and programs to strengthen the real-life learning
- Promote, support and realize ESG (Environmental Social and Governance) and digitalization, including cybersecurity, in all programs.
Conditions of employment
Depending on your professional experience and qualifications, your salary will be scaled according to WNT (Wet Normerings Topinkomens) salary scale D, and you will be appointed for four-years. HTH provides an excellent package of benefits.
Procedure & schedule
The search procedure for the appointment of the new member of the Board of Directors/Dean before 1st July, 2023 has been outsourced by HTH to Margo Elemans, director of TwynstraGudde Interim Management & Executive Search.
Pre-selection interviews with Margo Elemans will take place on 22nd May and 23nd May. The interviews with HTH consist of an interview with the selection committee on June 7th, an initial interview with the chairman of the Board of Trustees on June 9th, and meetings with 3 groups (Co-Determination Council, Board of Directors, Management Team) on June 12th or June 13th.
For more information about this position, please contact Margo Elemans via (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Are you interested in this position? TwynstraGudde Executive Search would like to receive your resume and motivation letter (both in English) no later than May 15th, 2023 addressed to Margo Elemans with reference; Hotelschool The Hague. You can apply through https://twynstra-gudde-interim-management.yellowyard.nl/job-application.php?jobId=828dbad4513212ff4757b5fee6906eec
- Board of Directors
- Campus The Hague
New member Board of Directors- Dean
Loading application form